Sunday, November 13, 2011

Am I crazy?

I've been writing and now have 17 chapters of my hopefully publishable novel complete - FIRST/ROUGH draft that is.  I figure there are probably at least 23 more chapters until completion (short chapters) then lots and lots and lots of re-writing.  As I think about eventually completing it and either self-publishing as an e-book or finding a publisher, the thought of money crosses my mind.  Years ago, I thought of writing as my way out of the 9-5 and extra money, maybe even lots of extra money.  Now, I am not so sure.

I am now in a job that for the most part, I enjoy.  Seems like, as far as 9-5 work goes, it's something I am good at, challenged by and can stand getting up to go to each day.  I don't know if this is what has caused the shift in my opinion or simply the fact that I just want to write and in writing when I feel it is ready for consumption by other than my Forever First Reader, Heather, I just want to be able to share my work with people.

Sure, money is always nice, but now the idea of getting money for what I write is secondary to having other than friends and family read what I have written.  My husband and I are definitely not rich.  The loss of a job by either of us could topple our pretty house of cards, but for now and hopefully for longer than that, we have enough.  Truthfully, we've been blessed and some times, we have more than enough.  I cannot complain.

So...am I crazy?  I think maybe not because in some ways isn't art, whether it be about writing, painting, photography, music and anything else you might consider to be art, about the creation and sharing of that creation more than the money?

2 comments:

  1. For me, I write because I have to. There are little voices bouncing around inside my head and if I don't write them down, I'm certain they will take over.

    Money isn't an issue. I mean, I'd love some. I'd love to have lots of it. But whether I make money or not doesn't decide if I should write or not. Beside, the statistics out there aren't pretty. If money is the only thing we hope for when we write, then we may be quite disappointed to find ourselves no richer for our efforts.

    Write for you. Then write for others. Then write for the money. Money last.

    I hope this makes some sense.

    Consider yourself stalked! I'm follower #1. I look forward to hearing more from you. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I am NOT crazy then and happy to be stalked. :-D Welcome!

    ReplyDelete