Friday, November 11, 2011

Procrastinating...

Without a doubt, I am able and have always been able to take procrastinating to an art form.  Aside from currently being sick with some weird stomach, achy all over sore throat thing, I AM currently procrastinating.  I am working on a novel.  I have just started Chapter Sixteen.  I am 80 pages and about 28,000 words into it.  I really care about my characters and do not want to leave them just hanging there.  But, they are in a good place right now.  They are all happy, care-free and bonding as a new family unit.  When they leave where they are currently at, things are going to get rough.  If the whispers in my head are correct, not just rough, but REALLY rough.  This results in me procrastinating about moving them forward.  My forever, first reader reminds me that the bad will be temporary and that eventually they will be in a good place again.  That's assuming a happy ending.  I am not saying the ending won't be happy, but what if it isn't?  What if it comes at a bittersweet price?  So...I procrastinate.

It was easy to justify the procrastination during the month of October.  Who can write fantasy when it is clearly a month for horror and ghost stories?  That's what I did for the month of October.  Perfectly justified, see?

It's November now.  I should be getting back to my characters.  I miss them.  I wonder how they have been, but still I procrastinate.  How I am doing that?  Pulled out things I have written in the past.  They are all freehand - you know - paper and pen.  I am transferring them to the computer.  Some of it isn't bad.  In fact, the one I am looking at right now, might have some value in being finished some day.

I will get back to my characters.  I promise.  Soon.  Just need to give in to the procrastination for a bit.  If I force it, I think I will lose something that taking this time will bring to it.  For me, I think the procrastination and living in the novel solely in my brain is a good thing.  It will get to the computer screen eventually.  Just not today.  Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment