Sunday, April 13, 2014

Writer's community

Before committing to writing, I never thought much about the writing community. I guess I didn't think of writers HAVING a community. Now that I am working on a novel and have put myself out there on twitter, I am seeing a real community.

What I am finding are authors, published and unpublished, that are supportive of each other whether it be the same genre or not. I guess I always thought there would be more in the way of egos and competition than support. I am sure the competition and the back-biting that comes along with it is there. However, it is not as prevalent as I would have assumed.

I am learning that my own struggles are not unique. I am hearing about ways others have solved those same problems. I have also been made aware of something that was only a nebulous thought for me --- marketing. A part of me, the more realistic and less dreamy part that goes to an office 9-5 each day to pay for things like food and shelter, must have realized it and that's why I created this blog, Twitter and Facebook accounts. I never really THOUGHT about it though. To my conscious mind, these were for my author's bio, to be included with a horror anthology that had accepted one of my short stories and a piece of flash fiction. They would allow me to keep my personal accounts separate and allow readers that enjoyed (or hated and wanted to tell me so) my work to contact me. I didn't really think about the fact that these would also be the means to keep readers informed about what would be next, means to market my work and myself.  I know there is much more involved, but it's a start. 

So, thank you to those who have been so encouraging and welcoming! I do know, at minimum, my 'to-be-read' list has now increased in size. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment