Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Writing to write

To be anything in life, you need to turn that skill into activity to hone your craft. Practice. To be a writer, I need to write. It doesn't always have to be a short story or a novel or even anything to be shared. By the simple act if writing, I learn a little more.

Simple. Writing isn't always simple. In fact, at times it can be painful. Nothing hurts worse than when the words simply won't come. The thoughts are trapped inside. It must be how someone unable to speak feels. Its a feeling if impotence. It's a feeling of helplessness.  Characters might be stuck on a precipice or turning point and you can't help them move or escape.

What I've forgotten is the one way to break down those barriers, free myself, save my characters is to simply write. Write anything. Write daily. 

I've seen calls from Jane Espenson on twitter for writing sprints. Unfortunately, I've either been at my day job or just missed it. Tonight, I was right on time. I only have my phone available at the moment so I decided to stick with a blog.

I love that she encourages writing like this.  I've been a fan of hers since 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'.  It is important to encourage each other to further refine our craft.  

What comes of this is a bit of free writing tonight which means, in my case, thoughts as they fall out of my brain. Poor you, if you are reading this. :-) I don't think they are all like this.

I do hope, once I am published that I continue to encourage others writers like Jane is doing. Without practice and practitioners, the art of writing could die out (doubtful, but the simple act of sitting down and handwriting a letter to a friend or loved one has all but died out so it could happen). 

No comments:

Post a Comment